Thursday, September 8, 2011

Use of technology in schools and colleges

Technology now a day is very beneficial for students attending school and college. New forms of technology are being developed every year to help people with everyday tasks.  These new devises like the smart phone, mp3, and electronic reader allow us to transport light weight and small sized materials without a hassle. Today we would not be able to function without the use of technology. One topic that is brought up frequently is if school and college should adopt technology? Some people strong believe that technology should be adopted while others disagree.

                The use of technology in schools and in colleges would get students more involved in school work.  They would be able to access any information at any location. Many students access school related information through the internet rather than going to the library, it is convenient and fast. Some schools believe that there is no need for traditional libraries, books take up space and there is not a lot of room on campus to store them. Schools that are purchasing electronic readers in the replacement of books would enable students to have access to millions of books. Students would be able to gather information in seconds instead of waiting to see if a book is available at the library. Students having access to technology would allow them to gather the latest information that is given all over the world.

                Many schools all over the country are setting a budget to buy forms of technology that would be useful to students in school. In purchasing in new technology, students would not injure their backs for carrying heavy books. They would be able to use an electronic reader and have all their subject textbooks in one. These new forms of technology would be environmentally friendly, students would not be able to destroy books and fewer trees would be knocked down. The new devises created would allow students to access everything in one gadget.

                Some people believe that technology would bring a downside to schools and colleges. Allowing students to have access to technology could distract them in the learning process. Students would not accomplish school related work, having a devise in their hands at any time. Some parents fear that allowing schools to adopt technology would teach the basic skills students should know in school like math and writing. Students could have any devise in their possession and ignore what is being taught. If schools adopt technology, how much would it cost, would these devices be durable for students to use?  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie:
    This seems a very sensible response to the question. I especially like the paragraph the describes in detail the advantages of a web-based e-reader.

    Now, if you were to revise this draft, I believe you would need to develop your argument beyond the e-reader to other technologies' influence on student learning. And you would need to draw upon the three sources given to you, as required by the question,right?

    typo? devises
    edit for use of adverb? Some people strong believe
    I sense that this paragraph lacks a true focus, no? Some people believe that technology would bring a downside to schools and colleges. Allowing students to have access to technology could distract them in the learning process. Students would not accomplish school related
    work

    note comma splice (using comma like period)? Many students access school related information through the internet rather than going to the library, it is convenient and fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk Back:
    Dr. Tinberg,
    1- I am very pleased that my response is conscious to the question. I did describe the advantages of a web-based e-reader and I should of added other technologies that are used for student learning. I should have added the three sources to my article to defend my writing. I missed a typo. I should use adverbs to give detail to my work and I should be alert when I use commas instead of periods. I might have made a bad purpose in adding that "Some people believe that technology would bring a downside to schools and colleges. Allowing students to have access to technology could distract them in the learning process. Students would not accomplish school related work."

    2 - I feel that you addressed everything, you didn't miss anything that needed to be said. I just want to clarify if it was an absolute bad idea to add that technology has a downside to student learning. I felt that I answered the question by stating that technology is beneficial but some people believe it is not.

    3- I feel that I can take what I learned from this assignment and transfer it to other writing. I will try not to make typos like devises. I will try to read my article out loud to myself to make sure if I need to add anything like adverbs. I will try to answer the question either a complete yes or a no, so I will not lack a true focus like when I stated that Some people believe that technology would bring a downside to schools and colleges.

    ReplyDelete